Buying a new chainsaw is an exciting purchase, but timing it right can save you a lot of money. With all the options on the market, it’s important to do your research and buy at just the right time to get the best deals. In this comprehensive guide, I’ll cover all the factors to consider for finding the optimal time to invest in a new chainsaw.
To start, the best time to buy a chainsaw is during major sale events like Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the end of the financial year. These periods see massive discounts from retailers trying to clear old stock. The fall season is also ideal as demand drops off after summer. Local promotions and online clearance sales are worth looking out for too.
Of course, timing isn’t everything. You also need to think about the right chainsaw type, size, features, and brand for your needs. This guide will walk through all the key considerations when chainsaw shopping to help you make an informed purchase. Let’s get started!
When is the Best Time to Buy a Chainsaw?
The best time to buy a chainsaw is when you can find the most significant discounts and deals. Some of the ideal times to purchase a chainsaw include Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the end of the financial year when companies need to move their stock
Certain times of year are better for chainsaw deals than others. Here are some key seasonal windows to watch for discounts:
End of the Financial Year
As the financial year wraps up in June, retailers will be looking to clear inventory and improve their balance sheet. This makes end of financial year sales a great time to score a bargain chainsaw. Many stores offer up to 50% off big ticket items like chainsaws leading into the new financial year.
Demand for chainsaws declines in fall as the main cutting season (spring through summer) ends. Retailers will be eager to sell off remaining stock. Wait until late fall and you’re likely to see great deals on chainsaws. Fallen leaves also make it easier to maintain your new chainsaw before winter storage.
The major retail holidays are prime chainsaw shopping times. Mark your calendars for:
The huge sales bonanza right after Thanksgiving is arguably the best time of year for chainsaw deals. Retailers offer deep discounts to kick off the holiday shopping season. Deals of over $100 off are common on chainsaws.
The online version of Black Friday also brings major savings. Check your favorite chainsaw sites for online-only bargains. Free shipping offers are also common during Cyber Monday sales.
Beyond key seasonal and holiday sales, a few other timing factors can help you save:
- Local Discounts: Hardware stores and chainsaw dealers often run local promotions not advertised nationally. Keep an eye out for clearance sales and other discounts.
- Online Deals: Websites like Amazon frequently run lightning deals and other chainsaw promotions. Sign up for deal alerts to pounce on periodic online bargains.
The best time to buy a chainsaw is during sale events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, as well as at the end of the financial year and during the fall season. Local discounts and online deals can also provide savings opportunities. But timing isn’t everything – you still need to pick the right saw for your needs.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Chainsaw
Before deciding when to buy, first determine the right chainsaw make and model for your requirements. Key factors include:
Chainsaw Size and Type
Guide Bar Length
The guide bar length dictates the size of material the saw can cut. Ensure you choose a bar long enough for your typical tasks. Between 14” to 18” bars suit most homeowners. Go longer for cutting large logs.
Chainsaw Size Based on Personal Experience
If you’re new to chainsaws, opt for a lighter small to mid-size saw that’s easy to control. Veteran users can handle heavier duty professional models. Select a chainsaw weight and power level you’re comfortable with.
Look for a hand guard, chain brake, anti-vibration handles, and automatic chain oiler. These features reduce risk and make cutting more comfortable.
Gas powered chainsaws offer the most cutting power, while corded electric saws provide unlimited runtime. Battery chainsaws trade some power for portability. Choose the power source best suited to your needs.
Popular chainsaw manufacturers include:
- Husqvarna – Known for robust professional-grade gas chainsaws.
- Stihl – Top selling brand trusted for reliability and power.
- Ryobi – Provides a range of affordable homeowner saws.
- Makita, Echo, Poulan – Other reputable chainsaw brands worth considering.
Once you’ve weighed the size, features, and brand options, you’ll know exactly which chainsaw model to target on sale.
Tips for Getting the Best Deals on Chainsaws
To maximize savings on your chosen chainsaw, keep these money-saving tips in mind:
Research and Compare Prices
- Check prices across multiple online retailers for the best deals.
- Visit local hardware and saw shops to find sales or price match guarantees. Knowing your options prevents overpaying.
Look for Discounts and Promotions
- Time your purchase around seasonal sales like Black Friday and end of financial year.
- Sign up for store deal alerts to get notified about clearance sales and online promotions.
Consider Buying Used Chainsaws
- Online classifieds like Craigslist often list super cheap used chainsaws from private sellers.
- Check pawn shops for quality used models at reasonable prices. Just be sure to inspect before buying.
A little deal hunting legwork goes a long way to scoring chainsaw savings.
Chainsaw Maintenance and Accessories
To keep your new chainsaw running safely and efficiently for years to come, be diligent about:
- Store your saw properly to prevent damage. Keep it clean, dry, and away from direct sunlight when not in use.
- Regularly inspect, clean, and adjust your chainsaw to keep the chain, bar, and motor in top shape.
- Use quality replacement chainsaw chains, guide bars, air filters, spark plugs, and sprockets when needed.
- Invest in proper safety gear like chaps, gloves, eye and ear protection.
Proper care and accessories make your chainsaw a lasting and worthwhile purchase.
Chainsaw Safety and Usage Tips
Operating a chainsaw can be dangerous without good safety habits:
Safe Chainsaw Operation
- Always follow manufacturer safety guidelines and maintain control of the saw with both hands.
- Let the chainsaw do the work – don’t force it. Over-extending is a common cause of accidents.
- Engage the chain brake when not cutting. Retractable hand guards provide an added layer of protection.
Chainsaw Usage Tips
- For clean cuts, remember to always start a cut with the bottom of the guide bar.
- Limit chainsaw use on hot days as heat causes fluid leakage. Chainsaws work best in cooler temperatures.
- Balance safety with efficiency by cutting higher risk branches first before fatigue sets in.
With proper precautions, you can safely enjoy the power and convenience of your new chainsaw for seasons to come.
The prime chainsaw shopping times are end of financial year sales, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and the fall season. Compare specs and brands to select the right saw for you. Seek out online deals, clearance sales, and local promotions to maximize savings. Invest in maintenance and personal safety equipment so your new saw performs its best for years of reliable service. Use good safety habits when operating your chainsaw. Follow this guide and you’ll soon be cutting with confidence and peace of mind!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top chainsaw brands to consider?
Stihl, Husqvarna, Makita, Echo, and Ryobi are among the best chainsaw brands. Stihl and Husqvarna are preferred for heavy duty use while Ryobi offers quality homeowner models.
How do I choose the right chainsaw size for my needs?
Pick a guide bar length suitable for the size branches and logs you expect to cut. Handles sized for your hand and power levels you can control safely are also important considerations. Professionals can opt for heavier saws.
What safety features should I look for in a chainsaw?
Key safety features include a hand guard, chain brake, anti-kickback mechanisms, anti-vibration handles, and an automatic oiler. Also invest in protective apparel like chaps, gloves, and goggles.
Are used chainsaws a good option for budget-conscious buyers?
Used chainsaws can represent big savings if they’re inspected and found to be in good mechanical shape. Check for signs of damage prior to purchase. Make sure safety features are intact.
How do I maintain my chainsaw for optimal performance?
Always follow the manufacturer’s maintenance guidelines. Keep your saw clean by brushing off sawdust and debris. Check the chain tension and sharpen or replace the chain regularly. Use quality fuel and bar oil.
What accessories should I purchase for my chainsaw?
Must-have accessories include replacement chains, chainsaw chaps, heavy duty gloves, eye protection, a helmet with ear protection, and a chainsaw file for sharpening. A spare guide bar and chain are also smart purchases.
When is the best time to prune trees with a chainsaw?
Most trees are best pruned in late winter/early spring before buds form. The low sap levels make for cleaner pruning. Leave pine tree trimming until late spring when sap flow slows.
Michael Boyle is the founder and main author of Chainsaws Finder, boasting over 20 years of experience in the chainsaw industry. Hailing from Texas, Michael combines his extensive knowledge and hands-on expertise to provide reliable advice and top-notch service. His vision is to empower chainsaw users to tackle any project with confidence, making Chainsaws Finder a trusted resource in the field.